What You Can Do
For the Bayou Gulf Coast benefit concert, Sept. 19
By Lynette Majer
If you like “NOLA” music and would also like to help rebuild the ravished Gulf Coast, then mark your calendar for Sept. 19 and For the Bayou’s fundraising concert, where all proceeds will directly benefit the environment and humanitarian efforts in the area.
The nonprofit organization works with musicians and artists that support the restoration efforts with the hope of educating fans about preserving this fragile environment and its importance as the nation’s largest coastal wetland area. Organized in 2008 by native Louisianans living in San Francisco, For the Bayou seeks to restore the native habitat and to provide humanitarian support during disasters. The recent gulf oil spill, the worst environmental disaster ever in the U.S., has increased the need for funds to help restore the damage to waters, wildlife, wetlands, and the area’s economy. In the last year, For the Bayou has directed over $15,000 to humanitarian relief, marsh restoration, wetland and shoreline recovery, and nesting seabird habitats.
The Sunday, Sept. 19 benefit at Bimbo’s 365 Club is headlined by some of the finest musical talent, including George Porter Jr., Anders Osborne, Ivan Neville, Ian Neville, a special appearance by Zigaboo Modeliste, and additional special guests to be announced. The fundraising concert follows a series of special New Orleans music performances throughout the City beginning on Friday, Sept. 17 and culminating on Monday night, Sept. 20 with the New Orleans Saints versus the 49ers at Candlestick Park.
Here is the weekend performance schedule:
• Friday, Sept. 17, 9:30 p.m.: Juice, Boom Boom Room, 1601 Fillmore Street (near Post), $10 (advance), 415-673-8000, www.boomboomtickets.com
• Saturday, Sept. 18, 8 p.m.: Tab Benoit, Great American Music Hall, 859 O’Farrell (near Polk), $20–$45, 888-233-0449, www.gamhtickets.com
• Saturday, Sept. 18, 9:30 p.m.: Honey Island Swamp Band, Boom Boom Room, 1601 Fillmore Street (near Post), $12 (advance), 415-673-8000, www.boomboomtickets.com
• Sunday, Sept. 19, 4 p.m.: Zigaboo Modeliste’s New Orleans Saints Round-up Party, Pier 23 Cafe, One Embarcadero (at Pier 23), $10 (door), 415-362-5125, www.pier23cafe.com
• Sunday, Sept. 19, 7 p.m.: Bay For the Bayou Gulf Spill Benefit Concert, Bimbo’s 365 Club, 1025 Columbus Ave (near Chestnut), $75 general, $150 VIP (VIP tickets include wine by Tableaux Wines and a gourmet tasting from Slanted Door, Range, Rose’s Café, CreoLa and more), www.bimbos365club.net
• Monday, Sept. 20, 5:30 p.m.: San Francisco 49ers vs. New Orleans Saints, Candlestick Park, from $69, 415-464-9377, www.49ers.com
This is a full weekend of music and entertainment, so be sure to pace yourself so you can attend the benefit Sunday night. If you’re considering some of the events but not the benefit concert, I hope the accompanying photo will change your mind.
For more information about For the Bayou, visit www.forthebayou.org.